The **#ImmigrationDetentionSyllabus** is a sixteen-part series of readings and tools to support education, research, and action to dissect and dismantle the U.S. immigration detention system. The syllabus is organized by theme and**curated by historian [Tina Shull](https://medium.com/u/6e34ba3479d9) at [Community Initiatives for Visiting Immigrants in Confinement (CIVIC)](http://endisolation.org).
Part One, “On the Inside: Stories from Immigration Detention,” provides introductory readings and resources for understanding the U.S. immigration detention system and a list of immigration detention story projects.
Understanding the Immigration Detention System
Canon, Dan, “A System Designed to Make People Disappear,” *Slate, *2017:
- Dow, Mark, [*American Gulag: Inside U.S. Immigration Prisons*](http://www.ucpress.edu/book.php%3Fisbn=9780520246690). University of California Press, 2004.
- Hefner, Tony. [*Between the Fences: Before Guantanamo, there was the Port Isabel Service Processing Center*](https://books.google.com/books/about/Between_the_Fences.html?id=QnOZZDHyGokC). Seven Stories Press, 2010.
- “[I’m 15 Years Old. Please, President Obama, Set Me Free to Live My Life](http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/please-president-obama-set-me-free-to-live-my-life_us_58791e14e4b09281d0eaa781),” *Huffington Post*, 2016.
- “[Kapijimpanga: The U.S. is Trying to Deport Me, But You Can’t Deport My Story,”](http://voiceofoc.org/2017/06/kapijimpanga-the-u-s-is-trying-to-deport-me-but-you-cant-deport-my-story/) Voice of OC, 2017.
- Ndaula, Malik with Debbie Satyal, “Rafiu’s Story: An American Immigrant Nightmare,” in [*Keeping Out the Other: A Critical Introduction to Immigration Enforcement Today*](https://www.amazon.com/Keeping-Out-Other-Introduction-Immigration/dp/0231141297/ref=sr_1_1%3Fs=books%26ie=UTF8%26qid=1502930248%26sr=1-1%26keywords=keeping+out+the+other). Columbia University Press, 2008.
Use CIVIC’s interactive map of all U.S. immigration detention facilities to locate a facility near you: