#ImmigrationDetentionSyllabusThe **#ImmigrationDetentionSyllabus** is a sixteen-part series of readings and tools to support education, research, and action to dissect and dismantle the U.S. immigration detention system. The syllabus is organized by theme and curated by historian [Tina Shull](https://medium.com/u/6e34ba3479d9) at [Community Initiatives for Visiting Immigrants in Confinement (CIVIC)](http://endisolation.org).
Part Thirteen, “On Hate,” provides readings, reports, and multimedia resources for understanding and tracking the history and influence of nativism, white supremacy, and racial hatred in shaping restrictionist immigration policy, “Trumpism,” and anti-immigrant narratives in media and public discourse.
- Anbinder, Tyler. Nativism and Slavery: The Northern Know Nothings and the Politics of the 1850s. Oxford University Press, 1992; “Nativism and Prejudice Against Immigrants: An Historiographic Assessment,” in A Companion to American Immigration*. *Blackwell, 2006.
- Anderson, Benedict. Imagined Communities: Reflection on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism. Verso, 1983.
- Arnold, Kathleen R., ed. Anti-Immigration in the United States: A Historical Encyclopedia. Greenwood Press, 2011.
- Bayoumi, Moustafa, excerpt fromHow Does it Feel to Be a Problem?: Being Young and Arab In America*, NY Magazine, *2008.
- Bennett, David H. The Party of Fear: The American Far Right from Nativism to the Militia Movement. Vintage, 1990.
- Brader, Ted, Nicholas A. Valentino, and Elizabeth Suhay. “What Triggers Public Opposition to Immigration? Anxiety, Group Cues, and Immigration Threat.” *American Journal of Political Science *52 (2008): 959–78.
- Fernandez, Deepa, “U.S. Immigration Policy and Racism: How White Supremacists are Writing Immigration Policy and Democrats are Asleep at the Wheel,” in Targeted: Homeland Security and the Business of Immigration. Seven Stories Press, 2007.
- Iftikhar, Arsalan, excerpt from Scapegoats: How Islamophobia Helps Our Enemies and Threatens Our Freedoms, Truthout, 2016.
- Perea, Juan, Immigrants Out! The New Nativism and the Anti-Immigrant Impulse in the United States*. *New York University Press, 1996.
- Reimers, David. Unwelcome Strangers: American Identity and the Turn Against Immigration. The New Nativism. Columbia University Press, 1998.
- Schrag, Peter. Not Fit for Our Society: Immigration and Nativism*. *University of California Press, 2011.
- Shapira, Harel. Waiting for José: The Minutemen’s Pursuit of America. Princeton University Press, 2013.
Crossing the Line: U.S. Sheriffs Colluding with the Anti-Immigrant Movement, Center for New Community, July 2017.
Hate groups increase for second consecutive year as Trump electrifies radical right and Intelligence Report: The Year in Hate and Extremism, Southern Poverty Law Center, February 2017.
The Anti-Immigrant Lobby in California: A Vocal Fringe Emboldened, Center for New Community, June 2017.
The Relationship Between Immigration and Nativism in Europe and North America, Migration Policy Institute, 2012.### Trumpism in the News
“Four Times Trump and his Cabinet have Lied about Immigration,” Teen Vogue, August 2017.
“Donald Trump and the Crisis of Masculinity,” *CounterPunch, *February, 2016.
“The Rise of American Authoritarianism,” Vox, March, 2016.
“Donald Trump and the Central Park Five: The Racially Charged Rise of a Demagogue,” The Guardian, February, 2016.
“Donald Trump’s Ban on Muslims Echoes Earliest Days of Nazi Propaganda,” NY Daily News, 2015.
“Here’s what Donald Trump said in his Big, Immigration Speech, Annotated.” The Washington Post, August 31, 2016.
Anti-Immigrant Hate Groups
Mapping the Anti-Immigrant Movement in America:
“Hate Groups like the Center for Immigration Studies want you to believe they’re mainstream,” Southern Poverty Law Center, March 2017.
“How the Media Elevated Anti-Immigrant Nativist Groups,” Media Matters, December 2016.
“Six Top Trump Advisors have Ties to FAIR, an Anti-Immigrant Hate Group,” VICE, May 2017.
“Sheriffs and Anti-Immigrant Hate Groups are Teaming Up Nationwide,” *Rewire, *August 2017.
“The Nativist Lobby: Three Faces of Intolerance,” Southern Poverty Law Center
Nativism and Myths about Immigrants, The Advocates for Human Rights