From October 26 to November 4, Detention Watch Network members and allies will mark the Latin American Holiday, Día de los Muertos or Day of the Dead, with national days of action to honor the lives of those who have died in immigration detention.
From the Detention Watch Network:
Stop the Deaths, Alto a las Muertes
October 26 — November 4, 2016
Since 2003, 165 people have died in immigrant detention, including 11 deaths in Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) custody this year alone. From October 26 to November 4, DWN members and allies will mark the Latin American Holiday, Día de los Muertos or Day of the Dead, with national actions.
The Day of the Dead National Actions aim to honor the lives of those who have died in immigrant detention, as recent investigations into deaths in detention have found that inadequate medical care has contributed to numerous deaths. Our goal is to have at least 10 cities across the country participate in the actions to highlight the 11 untimely deaths that have occurred this year, while amplifying the voices of those who have been directly-impacted by the immigration detention system.
Sponsoring Organizations: Alliance 4 Citizenship, United We Dream, SOA Watch, National Day Laborer Organizing Network, We Belong Together, Southeast Immigrant Rights Network, Enlace and Color of Change
- An immediate review of the 11 deaths in ICE custody this fiscal year, and publication of these reviews by January 30, 2017
- The immediate shut down of LaSalle Detention Center, where three of this year’s deaths have occurred
Join an Event:
(Continuously updated — check back for more details)
- October 26 | New York, NY: Día de los Muertos Funeral and Direct Action, Queer Detainee Empowerment Project
- October 28–29 | Nashville, TN: Dia De los Muertos 1er Ofrenda de Tres, Dia De Los Muertos 2da Ofrenda De Tres, Dia De Los Muertos 3er Ofrenda De Tres, SurenxsEnAccion
- October 29–30 | Tacoma, WA: Celebración del Día de Muertos, NWDC Resistance
- October 30 | Memphis, TN: No más muertes!/No more deaths!, Comunidades Unidas en Una Voz
- October 30 | Raleigh, NC: Details coming soon, Comité Popular Somos Raleigh
- November 1 | Washington, DC: Detention Deaths Funeral Procession, Detention Watch Network
- November 1 | Chicago, IL: Details coming soon, Organized Communities Against Deportations
- November 3 | AL: Details coming soon, Shut Down Etowah
- November 4 | New Orleans, LA: Details coming soon, New Orleans Worker Center for Racial Justice and Congreso de Jornalerxs
- November 4 | Atlanta, GA: Atlanta for Abolition: Dismantle the Prison Industrial Complex, Critical Resistance, Project South, Solutions Not Punishment Coalition, and Southerners on New Ground. Georgia Detention Watch
- November 6 | St. Paul, MN: Annual Day of the Dead Observance | Inter-faith Coalition on Immigration
Host an Event:
If interested in hosting an event that will amplify detention center deaths, please contact email@example.com for support. Event examples:
- Direct actions
Support for your Event. The DWN Action Guide:
DWN has created a Day of the Dead Action Guide, to support members and allies in making their event a success. The Action Guide includes a list of direct action materials, talking points, press templates and more!